Sunday 1 May 2011

She leaves and the town is immersed in an indigo dye that inflates and fidgets against the windows. From upstairs i hear my grandad chatting to the answering machine, he's saying
"antonio illness has gotten worse"
his voice has that phone inflection. Then i hear the realisation followed by his own imperfect cadence to every message "okthenbye"
Looking at the melancholy mid-afternoon palette the beer seems bitter. The dubstep on the cd player is all moody atmospherics, manipulated warbling and nuanced sorrow. There are organs that rise and fall like subordinates as a leader enters the room. I feel the weight of the spindly fingers flexing and pressurizing the keys.Trying to shape the sound, to craft and give actuality to the afternoon. I've been neglecting my appetite. The song takes a sequence of octave leaps and is joined by a bass that circulates round the room like an enormous wasp, panning both ears. It's music built on gaps, unafraid to democratise- a symposium of contained energy that allows multiple-authorship. Five second spaces where street noises surges and is saturates, ten second lapses to allow the couple sitting behind on the buses conversation to enter the sonic amphitheatre with the seagulls. These awnings and alcoves remain for enough time to allow cobwebs to gather in the dark- only to sweep them away. The beer is isolating its ingredients to my palette, laying them before me. This wasn't why it was uncapped, i wanted the monotonous frothy warmth of last night, the impression of being blown up through a nozzle like a lilo.
My emails are read from the fluorescence of the screen in the darkening room, they offer me
'rewards today'
As their subheadings ask of me whether I
''need 750 GBP?"
and don't give me time to respond before adding
"OK!"
Spam breeds. Junk has been allocated to the wrong folder whilst the vital and long awaited is relegated to JUNK. My life in part governed by this ineffectual, impersonal algorithm. Taking subject headers that promise too much, that smile too earnestly, as outright false, as too dramatically at odds with authentic relationships.
Outside is now veridian and the dubstep has segued into piano balladery, the beer continues to put its ingredients in separate dorms and she's still in Bristol.

No comments:

Post a Comment